Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I love winter!

Last night I suited up with my mitten/gloves (so that I can get fresh air on the digits when they get hot), my warm headband that isn't warm enough anymore, my headlamp that makes me look super cool, and my other multiple layers that hopefully make me comfortable enough to not realize how completely crazy running outdoors in a Michigan winter is.

My running path gets plowed, which is nice. Of course, that doesn't solve everything. There was about an inch of snow on the path last night which wasn't too much of a problem. Who am I kidding, I thought I was going to break my leg. Or die. I would be trotting along at a decent for me clip and then it would get all slippery. Not fun. And then a half mile from my turn around spot I rolled my ankle. It really didn't hurt too bad, but I pretty much said "screw it" and turned around and walked home.

I'm going to get some Yaktrax tomorrow night. Gazelle Sports is having a 15% off everything in the store sale from 5-8pm, which I think is very nice of them.

Has anyone else tried them? or another little something that helps keep you upright?

13 comments:

Julie said...

ha! i wrote about the yak's on my blog today. they're great on snow and ice, and annoying but ok on clean sidewalks. i'd recommend 'em.

Wendy said...

I just ordered some yesterday! I hope they work.

Holly said...

I love our version of cold weather running since we don't get ice and snow in south TX. I admire you for braving the REAL winter weather to get your miles in. Don't slip or freeze!! Hope those Yaktracks work.

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy, I just talked to my brother in law who lives in your neck of the woods (southwestern michigan). He hasn't used the Yaktrax, but he does know people who have and who have really liked them. He said he bought himself some "spikes" of a sort to put on his shoes - got them at Marshall's for about $12 (cheap, yay!). The one thing he suggested is to go with "softwool" socks (I'm guessing at the spelling) - they will keep your feet warm, and they are really soft, so you don't think you are wearing wool. He said that any running store should have them, but he did get his at Gazelle's.

Oh, and he said his spikes work well, but not pavement. I'm wearing Brooks ASR when it's raining/soon to be snowing outside, they bill themselves as "trail" shoes but testers say that they act like road shoes. They're "water resistant."

Can't believe you have so much snow already - my sister has 6 inches!!

Anonymous said...

Amy, have you heard of Stabilicers? KCH from Running Faster linked to them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KN4F7G?ie=UTF8&tag=faster-running.com-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000KN4F7G

This might be something similar to what my brother in law has on his shoes.

Pokey said...

I am excited to follow your marathon journey!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hey there, looking forward to reading your blog. We have a couple of things in common.
check out my blog and perhaps we can be a support to each other.
http://chubbychicmarathoner.blogspot.com

new websites said...

Thank you very much

arabic search said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful Article

4mp4.net said...

Thank you for your wonderful efforts

Association of University Lecturers and Researchers - Iraq said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful Article

Quick How said...

Your article more than wonderful ... Good luck always

whois domain find said...

Thank you for your article ... All the best