Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I keep learning new things

The other night I was sitting in a restaurant with Handsome Steve, his ex-wife and the three little ones….its how we roll :) Since the kids weren’t out numbering us and we were each able to just cover one kid, adult conversation could take place. Michelle brought up my running and said something along the lines of being impressed with how well I’ve stuck to it. I of course did that thing we all do and said “oh no, I haven’t stuck to it that well, I’ve missed some runs here and there….” And she said “no, I mean you’ve stuck to it, you’re still doing it.”

And she’s right.

I guess it is something we are all supposed to know. We all read it. It’s not just the race, but all the training we put into it before hand. This thing I’ve been doing is not about one day. Its about me becoming a runner. Its about all the times I’ve kept going when I wanted to go back home, and the times I’ve run in the rain. Its about all the icing of my shins and all the hobbling down the stairs first thing in the morning. – and for the latter, I swear that got better for a while, but I’m back to clutching the railing.

(I know what you are thinking, everyone needs to keep their boots on for just a little bit more)

I’ve stuck to this for 7 months. I have never stuck to ANYTHING longer than a week, maybe two before. But shuffling down the road? This I’ve been doing since March. And I didn’t even signup for the half marathon until August. I didn’t have someone showing up to my door everyday to run with me. I just kept putting on my shoes and hitting the bike path two doors down.

I don’t know why I didn’t quit. I can’t give some earth shattering bit of advice on how to keep at it. Maybe I just needed to finish something. Maybe my inner runner has been waiting to get out and get shuffling all along. Maybe I was just bored.

Ok, enough with the soul searching. Something else that has just clicked in my head that I’m sure everyone else already knew…the more water I drink in a given day, the better my run is that evening. If I only do coffee and diet coke at work, rest assured I will be contemplating laying down on the asphalt for a break or throwing myself in front of a car just so that they have to take me home. But if I tank bottle after bottle of water, I feel like a hundred bucks. I mentioned this to my sister yesterday and she said it is even better when she downs some Gatorade in the afternoon. I knew to hydrate during and after but before? All day? Who knew? And why didn’t you tell me?

13 comments:

Holly said...

Your friend was right--great work on sticking with it--through ALL of it. You are still doing it--and that's most important!

Julie said...

yaaaaaaaaay! see, you're a runner. forget anything anyone (or you yourself!) tells you, you're on plan. plans change, but you're on plan. stick with it!

Chris said...

I knew, Amy. Sorry I didn't tell you. DRINK LOTS OF WATER AND SPORTS FLUIDS! Good?

You really have done and great and you have come so far. You really are an inspiration.

Suzy said...

Oh, man, I stink at hydration. Heck, I stink at nutrition. I am really proud of you for running this long. You have it in you. It's who you are now. Some people have it, some people don't. You've got it.

american girl said...

Yeah about that water thing, it helps. I pretty much suck at all nutrition/healthy eating things but that's the one rule I stick to.

You are a runner. If it's something you want to do, you look forward to doing, or you need to do, even if you hate it sometimes, you're a runner.

Amy said...

and I definitely hate it sometimes!!

Pat said...

But, instead of gatorade you should think about a flavored water that has lower calories. That gatorade calories sure can add up.

I found that if my goals are lifetime goals like 1000 miles per year for 10 years or running til I'm 80 I keep motivated. Others that just want to run a marathon, find they get the runner's blues after they accomplish it and some of them stop running. Have life time goals, they'll keep you running for life.

Chris said...

I agree with Pat, but stick with the G2's; the calories are greatly reduced.

Amy said...

I agree with keeping the calories in check, but if I'm trying to prepare for say a 6-8 mile run that evening, thats 600-800 calories I'll be burning. I don't really add to much else, so I think I could justify the extra calories in something like Gatorade. I don't think I would be throwing a sportsdrink into my afternoon if I'm just planning 3 miles, just water all day in that case.

Anonymous said...

If you get sick of just drinking water, you can add propel to it too - that's what I do, and then you get all the B vitamins, so more energy!

I say kudos to you for continuing to do it, all on your own. If I had not been training with a team, i admit, I am not sure if I could have gotten through this whole marathon training all alone. You're a stronger person than you think you are, Amy.

By the way, my brother in law will be running with you inthe half marathon in a few weeks. He's got brown hair, (sometimes a goatee) and is, in his words "a big guy." If you see someone who fits that description, and is talking to someone named Anne, ask him if he's Steven M. :-)

My nephews are really looking forward to earning their medals at the kids' race in Grand Rapids. I hope you can go watch that race before your own!

Venom@Ward said...

well..well.. i never knew i'd be writing here....but u r an inspiration..i must admit!

RunningLaur said...

I found your blog through the RBF, and not only do I love this post, but I love the whole blog!

You bring a funny, positive, yet realistic view on becoming a runner, and I'm so happy that I can read it. This post just really brings home what it's about, not just the race, but the journey and fun.

Keep on running, and keep on blogging!

Megan said...

I just found your blog...not sure how, doesn't matter, but this post resonated with me...I just realized today that I, too have stuck with this! Who knew? A couple of times I have taken a pretty long break (1 was just under a month) but I'm still going. Go me! Go you! We go, girl! :) Have a great whatever!