Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I'm back.

I know its Wednesday and I’ve been back since Saturday night, but it took some serious recovery to get over the long week with 6 kids under 10. It got a little ugly, they almost took me down, but I won. We spent the first half of the trip at Lake Anna in Bumpass, Va. In case you couldn’t tell from the name of the town, there was no internet, no tv, and you had to drive a half hour just to buy food. If I stood on one leg, half way up the driveway and held my breath, I could almost get one bar on my cell phone. It was actually really nice to be so far away from the rest of the world. Every day was spent on the beach and the boat in the freakishly hot water. Lake Anna is a man made lake, something to do with the nuclear reactor, hence the hot tub water. I was diligent with the SPF but I still got a sexy cocoa butter tan.

The second half of the week was spent at our friends main house in Vienna, VA, just outside of D.C. Lots of museums and sight seeing. My uncle came down from Annapolis on Friday to have dinner with Steve and I (our only 3 hours without any kids, thanks Nana and Papa). Dinner with my favorite uncle was definitely a highlight of the trip.

Uncle Mike is a marathoner, like the real kind. As in Boston. He did two of them this spring, and then hurt his foot, so he’s been laying low on the miles since then. He met us at the entrance of the zoo all decked out in his Boston 2007 shirt, and bayshore marathon hat, coolest guy ever. I’m pretty sure. It was fun to talk to him about running.

I did run twice when we were at the Lake. One 3 mile and then a 7 mile. And then my right foot decided bending was going to be crazy painful, and my shin splints started creeping back. I took the rest of the week off to let everything feel better. I’m going to get back at it tonight. 5 miles. Woo!In other news, my sister and I have decided to do the half marathon in October. We aren’t quitting, I’m not changing my goal, we are just extending the training plan. May will be the finish, either the Bayshore in Traverse City, or the Green Bay race.

I'm slowly catching up with my Google reader, happy running.

4 comments:

Jillian said...

Remember at my wedding last year when Uncle Mike went out and ran 10 miles in the middle of the day....in May...on the hot/humid island? I thought he was nuts. Now, look at you. You went on vacation and you ran. You're just as much of a real runner as he is! I think that proves it. Anyway - hope your 5 went well tonight. I opted to XT tonight and took Raleigh for a walk and Todd and I are heading out in a few to go for a bike ride. More running tomorrow! :)

Holly said...

You are a real marathon runner too! (Though I totally get what you were saying.)

It's A-OK to tweak your plans and extend your overall goal--you don't want an injury or setback.

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy, it's good to have you back! I love the name of that town, I will have to tell my husband who will then giggle like a little school girl about it!

I hope the shin splints stop bothering you - I had them at one point in my life, and god, they were so painful - like someone was taking wood knives and stabbing me repeatedly with them!

*jen* said...

That's very cool about your uncle!
I hope your foot issues and shin splints resolve themselves. That's no kind of fun. Great job on running while on vacay! Glad you're back. :)